America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: International Standard
WGBH HD Master, Captioned 80/ 24 PsF, 64/ 60i
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- America’s Ballroom Challenge
- America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: International Standard
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 2006
Over the course of five weeks, top ballroom dancers compete at the world's largest ballroom dancing competition, in Columbus, Ohio. the series takes viewers onto the dance floor and behind the scenes as 24 couples compete for the ultimate dance title. Series release date: 2006
- Program Description
When one conjures an image of ballroom dancing, International Standard is the style that most often comes to mind: sweeping ballgowns, men in tails and formal, regal dancing. With steps that date back hundreds of years to the royal courts of Europe, it is ballroom’s oldest style, its most recognizable and, some would say, its most elegant. The competition includes five dances: waltz, tango, Viennese waltz, foxtrot and quickstep. All five must be danced in the “closed position,” meaning that the man and woman must remain in contact at all times—in contrast to their American Smooth counterparts, who are allowed to separate and rejoin while performing many of the same steps.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Event Coverage
- Moreno, Aida (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: International Standard,” 02/13/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 26, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EE7973468D142C28B1327E5EB692167.
- MLA: “America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: International Standard.” 02/13/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 26, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EE7973468D142C28B1327E5EB692167>.
- APA: America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: International Standard. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EE7973468D142C28B1327E5EB692167