Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, Affordable housing, Mandela, Mass.
Mayor Ray Flynn holds a press conference in Roxbury to unveil plans for a new housing and commercial development to be built on a vacant lot in Douglass Square. The Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) cleared the land in the 1960s and never rebuilt on the lot. The owners and developers of the new project are African American. Flynn and City Councilor Bruce Bolling talk about the new development. Flynn says that all neighborhoods and all residents must share in the growth of the city. Bolling says that the proposal for the creation of Mandela, Massachusetts is a no longer an issue. Bolling and other Mandela opponents believe that the new development signifies a renewed commitment to the Roxbury neighborhood by the city of Boston.
- Ten O'Clock News
Flynn, Affordable housing, Mandela, Mass.
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Press conferences
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- African Americans
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Urban renewal
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- City planning
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, Affordable housing, Mandela, Mass.,” 11/05/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5D5E5A07949C4F2F8105B3FBC0B48CE2.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, Affordable housing, Mandela, Mass..” 11/05/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5D5E5A07949C4F2F8105B3FBC0B48CE2>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, Affordable housing, Mandela, Mass.. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5D5E5A07949C4F2F8105B3FBC0B48CE2