La Plaza; Laura Grub - Photos Cuba - American Voices
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Laura Grub - Photos Cuba - American Voices
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Laura Grub- Mexican classical composer talks about her classical training and her music. Drop Out Issue- High school dropout rates among Hispanic students continue to be an issue of concern for our community. This segment briefly profiles a student’s successful pursuit of her basic education with the help of a community-based alternative school program. American Voices- An informal talk with three immigrants from Puerto Rico and how they are making it in the US. Jose, Carmen, and Wilfredo talk about the dreams that brought them here, their initial struggle, and their emerging success.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Laura Grub - Photos Cuba - American Voices,” 01/20/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5C6E8CEA026E442A84B2A21F971B5837.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Laura Grub - Photos Cuba - American Voices.” 01/20/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5C6E8CEA026E442A84B2A21F971B5837>.
- APA: La Plaza; Laura Grub - Photos Cuba - American Voices. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5C6E8CEA026E442A84B2A21F971B5837