Ten O'Clock News; US view of ANC
Carmen Fields interviews Herman Cohen, the US Assistant Undersecretary for African Affairs, about South Africa. The African National Congress held its first public rally in thirty years yesterday and celebrated the release of ANC political leaders. In the interview, Cohen says that the US is encouraging the South African government to negotiate with the black majority. Cohen discusses the recent change in political climate in South Africa. He talks about the possibility of negotiations between the black majority and the government. Cohen says that the South African government must lift restrictions on political organizations like the ANC. He says that the US may lift some sanctions if the South African government makes progress toward ending apartheid. Cohen talks about the effects of sanctions on the South African government.
- Ten O'Clock News
US view of ANC
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African National Congress
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Cohen, Herman J.
- South Africa
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Cohen, Herman J. (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; US view of ANC,” 10/30/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5BB07B9540E8472EBCE2AC3603105BE8.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; US view of ANC.” 10/30/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5BB07B9540E8472EBCE2AC3603105BE8>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; US view of ANC. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5BB07B9540E8472EBCE2AC3603105BE8