American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 4 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Finkelman talks about Boston - gets support w/out revealing much, Boston - give money, strike a blow against slavery, Jail - Christ - like martyr, Jail - no rescue, if hanged then martyr, Jail - martyr, ready to die, Jail - fulfilled purpose, last step in his evolution, Jail - instant myth, he makes the most of it, Jail - kissed child of jailer's slave woman, Jail - understands value of the media, Jail - media, goes back to old way, using words (long), Jail - media, goes back to old way, using words (short, Insanity - Virginia's mistake (alt), Insanity - Virginia's mistake (better), Jail - Virginians give access to media, own PR firm, Insanity - insane to give life for higher good?, Insanity - bad tactician, planner, etc. but not crazy, Icon - for North, only violence can end slavery, Icon - like Lincoln, makes Civil War about slavery, Icon - makes himself victim of slavery
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 4 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Finkelman, Paul (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 4 of 5,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 18, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5B0F60E7FFCB4BD5BABF44209688C0E5.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 4 of 5.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 18, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5B0F60E7FFCB4BD5BABF44209688C0E5>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 4 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5B0F60E7FFCB4BD5BABF44209688C0E5