Say Brother; Another Conversation with the Next Generation
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Another Conversation with the Next Generation
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the opinions of teenagers in Boston regarding race relations in middle and high schools, via a group discussion with 34 teenagers led by Barbara Barrow-Murray. Discussion topics include the Darryl Williams shooting at Jamaica Plain High School, the impact of violence on education, and the role of parents in perpetuating poor racial relations. Program includes 20 minutes of viewer calls and footage of the Darryl Williams Rally October 3, 1979, and the East Boston High School Boycott, October 18, 1979 (compliments of WGBH-TV's 10 O'Clock News. Program follows the same format as Program 918, "A Conversation With the Next Generation."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations
- African American teenagers
- Civil rights
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barbara Barrow-Murray (Producer)
- Clarke, Brian (Director)
- Deare, Beth (Associate Producer)
- Harriston, Renee (Intern)
- Mackles, Gene (Graphic Designer)
- Wong, Evelyn (Production Assistant)
- Carey, Nancy (Intern)
- Norton, Chas (Lighting Director)
- Fairweather, Bill (Video)
- MacKnight, John (Lighting Assistant)
- Brennan, Susan (Audio)
- Bordett, Bruce (Stage Manager)
- Morales, Carmen (Production Assistant)
- Hill, Rebecca (Fashion Consultant)
- Smith, Kathy (Switcher)
- Mahard, Fran (Scenic Design)
- Lewis, Webster (Theme Music)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Host)
- Melendez, Celenia (Intern)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Another Conversation with the Next Generation,” 11/30/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5A36F0A4E11A47A2A8F57A46E4124D56.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Another Conversation with the Next Generation.” 11/30/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5A36F0A4E11A47A2A8F57A46E4124D56>.
- APA: Say Brother; Another Conversation with the Next Generation. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5A36F0A4E11A47A2A8F57A46E4124D56