Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass (09/12/1975)
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Evening Compass, The
- Evening Compass (09/12/1975)
- Series Description
Premiered January 1974
The Evening Compass was a half-hour program airing Monday - Friday at 7 pm, repeated at 10:30. With co-anchormen Ed Baumeister and Louis Lyons, its purpose was to interpret news already reported elsewhere and to recognize, report and interpret news not reported elsewhere. Compass Specials were occasional broadcasts at other times that usually covered actual events as opportunities and resources permitted. Evening Compass incorporated the staff of Louis Lyons/News and Comment and The Reporters.
See Prime Time January and February 1974 for cover stories. Series release date: 1/2/1974
- Program Description
Evening Compass newscast during the first week of Phase II desegregation of Boston schools. Ed Baumeister reads school attendance statistics and gives a summary of the day's events relating to the schools. Pam Bullard reports on efforts by the Boston School Committee, the Boston Home and School Association, and the City of Boston to appeal the Phase II busing plan in court. Bullard notes that the chances of overturning the plan are slim. Paul deGive interviews Father William Joy (St. Mary's Parish) about the residents of and the atmosphere in the Bunker Hill housing project in Charlestown. Joy says that the Catholic Church has not responded to the needs of the project residents. DeGive also interviews teenage project resident Danny Sullivan. Sullivan says that youth in the housing project do not deserve their bad reputation. Gary Griffith interviews Joseph Timilty (mayoral candidate) about the upcoming election. Timilty says that he avoids busing as a campaign issue. Bullard interviews Kathleen Sullivan (Boston School Committee). Sullivan accuses Superintendent Marion Fahey of making school appointments based on politics rather than performance.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Stuart, Charles (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass (09/12/1975),” 09/12/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 5, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_59387F1F98674823819F322D2172CCE7.
- MLA: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass (09/12/1975).” 09/12/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 5, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_59387F1F98674823819F322D2172CCE7>.
- APA: Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass (09/12/1975). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_59387F1F98674823819F322D2172CCE7