Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Flag Box
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Flag Box
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
0105 – USS Constitution Inspired Flag Box Episode 05 – Flag Box
With a reverent nod to Veteran’s Day, this episode of Rough Cut features Tommy building a Flag Box, commonly used for housing the American flag. As a special feature in this episode, Tommy welcomes five retired members of the military into the shop to help him properly fold the flag for the box. In true Rough Cut fashion, the box itself features splines made from live oak taken from the USS Constitution. Throughout the episode, Tommy provides detailed instructions for crafting the flag box, highlighting the techniques for achieving successful splined miter joints. Tommy also goes on location to the USS Constitution to speak with naval historian Margherita Desy and is paid an in-studio visit by fellow woodworker Al D’Attanasio.
Resources: Router Table Table Saw Clamps
Field Trip: USS Constitution, Charlestown, MA
Questions and Answers: Flag Box
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Flag Box,” 10/05/2010, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_583798B18E124848A7368DE6D96A3E71.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Flag Box.” 10/05/2010. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_583798B18E124848A7368DE6D96A3E71>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Flag Box. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_583798B18E124848A7368DE6D96A3E71