Ten O'Clock News; Banks and low-income neighborhoods
Christy George reports that poor Boston neighborhoods lack access to banking services. Banking leaders met with community leaders today to announce an agreement that will provide better banking services to poor neighborhoods. George reviews the details of the agreement, which will provide bank branches, loans, and increased investment to poor neighborhoods. At the meeting Richard Pollard (Massachusetts Bankers Association) says that redlining did not take place in the 1980s. Charles Stith (Organization for a New Equality), Bruce Bolling (Boston City Council), Willie Jones (Community Investment Coalition), John Hamill (Shawmut Bank),Ronald Homer (Boston Bank of Commerce), and Michael Dukakis all speak out in favor of the proposal. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Julian Bond at Harvard University and Christopher Lydon interviews Sarah Small
- Ten O'Clock News
Banks and low-income neighborhoods
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Banks and banking
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Urban poor
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Banks and low-income neighborhoods,” 01/15/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_57DC041C71154EB6988DAFE62687F950.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Banks and low-income neighborhoods.” 01/15/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_57DC041C71154EB6988DAFE62687F950>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Banks and low-income neighborhoods. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_57DC041C71154EB6988DAFE62687F950