Ten O'Clock News; Walcott and Heaney, Part 1
Interview with St. Lucian poet Derek Walcott and Irish poet Seamus Heaney about the poetry of American poet Robert Penn Warren. Lydon, Walcott, and Heaney discuss the best format for the interview. Walcott and Heany comment on Penn Warren's appointment as US Poet Laureate. Walcott comments on the excellence of Penn Warren's recent work. Heaney talks about the significance of US history in Penn Warren's work. Walcott and Heaney discuss regionalism in Penn Warren's work, and the appropriateness of appointing a poet laureate. Walcott reads from Penn Warren's poem, "Caribou." Tape 1 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
Walcott and Heaney, Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Walcott, Derek
- Warren, Robert Penn, 1905-1989
- Heaney, Seamus, 1939-
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- News Report
- Heaney, Seamus, 1939- (Interviewee)
- Walcott, Derek (Interviewee)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Walcott and Heaney, Part 1,” 02/28/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_575E90646BE94D3DA6E8DA13481FB235.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Walcott and Heaney, Part 1.” 02/28/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_575E90646BE94D3DA6E8DA13481FB235>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Walcott and Heaney, Part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_575E90646BE94D3DA6E8DA13481FB235