American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 1 of 4
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Renehan talks about Childhood - underground RR, Owen - John Brown not successful but abolitionist like Owen, Owen - absentee father, John Brown tries to be better father, fails, Personality - needed authority, e.g. tannery, but failed, Personality - always took lead, Kansas free soil militia, Personality - stubbornness, lead by God, Douglas, Douglass/John Brown - yin/yang, Douglass liked finer things, Douglass - thought John Brown's plan would fail, alienate people, Martyr - Douglass etc. picked up John Brown's mantle after death, Garrison/John Brown - religion, pacifism vs. retribution, Kansas, Religion/Kansas - John Brown's God inspired violence, Kansas, Religion - no fear of death, helped John Brown to martyrdom
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 1 of 4
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Renehan, Edward J. (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 1 of 4,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 8, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_56DCC4E7AAA54A3CB15C835773944850.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 1 of 4.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 8, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_56DCC4E7AAA54A3CB15C835773944850>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 1 of 4. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_56DCC4E7AAA54A3CB15C835773944850