Ten O'Clock News; Black community on Stuart case
Jan von Mehren reports that African American community leaders expressed their rage over the handling of the Carol Stuart murder case. Von Mehren notes that the leaders accused city officials, the Boston Police Department and the news media of racism in handling the case. Von Mehren's report includes angry speeches by Don Muhammad (Muhammad's Mosque), Rev. Graylan Hagler (Church of the United Community), and Bruce Bolling (Boston City Council). Von Mehren notes that the African American leaders have accused police of ignoring obvious clues during their investigation. Von Mehren adds that some leaders called for the resignation of Ray Flynn (Mayor of Boston) and Francis "Mickey" Roache (Commissioner, Boston Police Department). Von Mehren interviews Hagler. Hagler says that police officers ignored community residents who approached them with information about the case. Von Mehren concludes by saying that the African American community suffered a grave injustice in the aftermath of the murder.
- Ten O'Clock News
Black community on Stuart case
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Stuart, Charles, 1959-
- Race relations
- Mass media
- Stuart, Carol
- African American religious leaders
- Discrimination in law enforcement
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954-
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black community on Stuart case,” 01/05/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 30, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5691CD8EE8F84A3098C974C952C45843.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black community on Stuart case.” 01/05/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 30, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5691CD8EE8F84A3098C974C952C45843>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black community on Stuart case. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5691CD8EE8F84A3098C974C952C45843