Arthur; Nicked by a Name; Play’s the Thing, The
WGBH Master Nicked by a Name, 169A The Play’s the Thing, 169B
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Nicked by a Name; Play’s the Thing, The
- Program Number
1403; 169A; 169B
- Series Description
Each of the Arthur episodes consists of two independent stories that focus on themes and events central to children's lives. Whether it's facing down a bully, worrying about a new teacher, or being the very last person on earth to lose his baby teeth, Arthur and his friends manage to solve their third-grade dilemmas with imagination, kindness and a lot of humor. "What children love about Arthur is that he feels real to them," says Carol Greenwald, WGBH executive producer. "The emotions he experiences are universal. When Arthur triumphs over something, kids think they can, too. "The series will build on that sense of empowerment by showing how Arthur and his friends use effective, age-appropriate, problem-solving skills. Bringing a book-based series like Arthur to public television will also promote reading and writing skills. Series release date: 10/1996
- Program Description
See individual titles for additional assets.
Nicked by a Name, 169A There is a virus spreading through Lakewood Elementary! It changes the way everyone acts and how they treat each other….it’s the new nicknames! Can Brain stop the virus he created or will everyone be mean to each other forever?
Educational Objective: Brain and the gang learn about the power of positive speech when his well-intentioned nicknames end up turning the friends against each other.
The Play’s the Thing, 169B The playground has been quiet lately – too quiet – and the Tough Customers don’t like it one bit. All the rest of the kids seem more interested in electronics than in good old-fashioned fun! Can the TCs save the playground or is everyone done playing for good?
Educational Objective: Muffy and friends learn that technology can be fun, but getting outside and playing with each other is even more fun!
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Social Issues
- CINAR (Series Producer)
- Greenwald, Carol (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Arthur; Nicked by a Name; Play’s the Thing, The,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55EB3D6729A342D2B6FCDD8607EAF8FA.
- MLA: “Arthur; Nicked by a Name; Play’s the Thing, The.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55EB3D6729A342D2B6FCDD8607EAF8FA>.
- APA: Arthur; Nicked by a Name; Play’s the Thing, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55EB3D6729A342D2B6FCDD8607EAF8FA