Ten O'Clock News; Voter registration reform
Sam Fleming reports on voter registration in Massachusetts. Fleming notes that many eligible voters in Massachusetts are not registered to vote. He notes that the percentages of unregistered voters are highest in minority communities. Fleming interviews Yvonne Footman (Dorchester resident) and other city residents about voter registration. Fleming's report includes footage of Footman registering to vote. Fleming interviews Charles Weeks (Office of the Massachusetts Secretary of State) and David Sullivan (Office of the Massachusetts Secretary of State) about voter registration. Sullivan and Weeks say that the State of Massachusetts is not doing enough to make voter registration easy and accessible. Fleming reports on voter registration initiatives at the state and national level. Fleming notes that Jesse Jackson (Democratic candidate for US President) has made increased access to voter registration part of his campaign platform. Following the edited story is b-roll of Jesse Jackson at the Democratic Convention,voter registration tables, polling booths, and city residents near City Hall Plaza.
- Ten O'Clock News
Voter registration reform
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Voter registration
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Political conventions
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Fleming, Sam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Voter registration reform,” 07/19/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 22, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55331F285FC442DD9B342339DDD86BB8.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Voter registration reform.” 07/19/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 22, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55331F285FC442DD9B342339DDD86BB8>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Voter registration reform. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_55331F285FC442DD9B342339DDD86BB8