War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Visions of War and Peace; Guardians of the High Frontier
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
United States Air Force film that explains what the United States is doing for defense using space. Includes footage of missile launch alerts demonstrations.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
- Visions of War and Peace
- Program Number
Guardians of the High Frontier
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Program Description
Even in the best international atmosphere, the superpowers face continuing differences about hot to reduce the risk of nuclear war. This final episode analyzes the continuing themes of the nuclear age.
- American attitudes toward nuclear weapons are intertwined with American anxieties about the nature of the Soviet State. - NATO relies on a threat of first use of nuclear weapons in response to an attack even by conventional forces of the Warsaw Pact. - To date, there is no defense against nuclear missiles. - More and more nations are acquiring nuclear technology. - Many people confuse arms control with disarmament.
The challenge of the Nuclear Age is to find a new way for nations to resolve disputes so they will no longer resort to force.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States
- United States. Air Force
- War and Conflict
- Global Affairs
- Reagan, Ronald (Speaker)
- Rights Summary
In perpetuity ; Public Domain Rights Holder: NAFB
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Visions of War and Peace; Guardians of the High Frontier,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 18, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5521DBA6AB6A4852B1DC2F7831878B00.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Visions of War and Peace; Guardians of the High Frontier.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 18, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5521DBA6AB6A4852B1DC2F7831878B00>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Visions of War and Peace; Guardians of the High Frontier. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5521DBA6AB6A4852B1DC2F7831878B00