Ten O'Clock News; Black Mississippi delegates
Christy George reports from the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta. George reports that Atlanta is the heart of the new South; she adds that the region is becoming more diverse, and has been energized by an influx of industry and culture. George reports that the Mississippi Delegation to the Democratic National Convention is said to lead the region on issues of race relations. George notes that the Mississippi delegates are representative of the new South. Interviews with Mississippi delegates Jesse Banks, Ed Cole, Isaiah Frederides, Sherry Fisher, Deborah Dunn and Joe Gaitlin. Each delegate expresses pride in the political process and talks about the changes in the state of Mississippi. George reviews the struggle by African Americans for inclusion in the Democratic Party. George discusses the history of African Americans at the Democratic National Convention from 1948 to 1968. George's report includes footage of civil rights protesters in the 1960s and footage of the Democratic National Convention in the 1960s. George's report is also accompanied by footage of Jesse Jackson at the 1988 Democratic National Convention. George notes that Jackson has led a new group of people into the Democratic Party.
- Ten O'Clock News
Black Mississippi delegates
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Political conventions
- Race relations
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- News Report
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Speaker)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black Mississippi delegates,” 07/20/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 11, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5382217D89B64C65AB0CBAEDA19096FC.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black Mississippi delegates.” 07/20/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 11, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5382217D89B64C65AB0CBAEDA19096FC>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black Mississippi delegates. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5382217D89B64C65AB0CBAEDA19096FC