Ten O'Clock News; State Street Bank, local or global
David Boeri reports on expansion plans by the State Street Bank. The bank's activities are focused on mutual funds, pension funds, and informational services, and it has a presence on the international scene. The bank needs approval from the State Banking Commission before opening an office in Tokyo. Critics accuse the bank of abandoning its local responsibilities. State Banking Commission Hearing. State Senator Bill Owens says that the bank does not provide credit to low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. William Edgerly, Chairman of the State Street Bank and Trust says that the bank does not provide a full range of consumer services. Interview with Edgerly, who says that the bank needs to go global in order to be an industry leader. He adds that the bank is committed to the local community. Interview with Diane Strother from the Massachusetts Affordable Housing Alliance, who says that the bank does not do enough for the community. Boeri reports that affordable-housing advocates want the bank to renew its commitment to low-income neighborhoods.
- Ten O'Clock News
State Street Bank, local or global
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Owens, Bill, 1937-
- Banks and banking
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- African American politicians
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Owens, Bill, 1937- (Speaker)
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; State Street Bank, local or global,” 10/13/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_530230B62AC7497CA5C42786112802FA.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; State Street Bank, local or global.” 10/13/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_530230B62AC7497CA5C42786112802FA>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; State Street Bank, local or global. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_530230B62AC7497CA5C42786112802FA