American Experience; Nixon; William Rogers in Vietnam, 1970
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
Secretary of State Rogers in Vietnam 1) Formal party at Presidential Palace. Very good laughing close up of Thieu. Long banquet table, candles, crystal, men in white. Rogers seated with Mme [unidentified]. 2) William Rogers and VIPs visit Phu Tong village, showcase of pacification program in Mekong Delta. Vietnamese boys in colorful uniforms, play drums and dance for Rogers and crowd. Close up, two glum looking Vietnamese soldiers. (See Tad Szulc, p.306, regarding this visit.) 3) Village tour, Rogers walking, Vietnamese kids looking. Mini skirted woman in William Rogers group. William Rogers, jovial chat with GIs. 4) Village sign and map / Bunker. Rogers. Woman in bright pink floral dress and beehive hairdo. The nonsense of Westerners viewing the pacified village. Close up, Rogers listening to Vietnamese speech, local official's presentation. Excellent shots of Vietnamese people, old and young, uncomprehending. Local militia lined up - dark blue pajamas and guns. Large banner: Warm Welcome to the Foreign Ministers Delegation of the Allied Friendly Countries of Republic of Vietnam. Wide shot scene of gathering and flags. Close up Bunker and Rogers. Vietnamese women and children behind barbed wire fence, holding on, several deep, watching. 5) More of Vietnamese boys drumming and dancing for them (as in section 2). William Rogers and others standing around in circle. 6) General scene - William Rogers walking through village. William Rogers talks to reporters (sync): "We recognize this is one of the best villages but even so... compared to last year, it's clear great progress has been made." (Rather overexposed or I'd have taken a bit more.) 7) Rogers sync to reporters: "The government has been able to take charge of the country and 90 percent of South Vietnam is now secure... When people talk about the war being enlarged, they're mistaken. I think the war has actually receded." 8) More of formal dinner at Presidential Palace - guests arriving (very dark, hope it's salvageable). Nguyen Cao Ky and Madame Ky, including striking profile, past guards and camera. Nguyen Van Thieu and Mme Nguyen Van Thieu ditto. Nguyen Van Thieu and Americans greeting - more laughing. Close up of Nguyen Van Thieu (as in section 1). Ellsworth Bunker, William Rogers and Mrs. Rogers. Madame Nguyen Cao Ky close up, zooms in to jewels on dress. Nguyen Van Thieu greeting all, drink in hand. Nguyen Cao Ky close ups smoking, listening. Nguyen Van Thieu talking and gesticulating.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
William Rogers in Vietnam, 1970
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--Foreign relations--Asia
- Prime ministers' spouses
- Dinners and dining
- Nguyen, Van Thieu, 1923-2001
- Bunker, Ellsworth, 1894-
- Women in war
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Children and war
- Rogers, William P. (William Pierce), 1913-2001
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Saigon (South Vietnam)
- Nguyen, Cao Ky
- Vietnam--Politics and government
- United States--History 1945-
- Presidents' spouses
- Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- Mekong Delta (Vietnam)
- United States--Foreign relations--1945-1989
- United States--Politics and government
- Saigon, South Vietnam; Mekong Delta, South Vietnam
- Rogers, William P. (William Pierce), 1913-2001 (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; William Rogers in Vietnam, 1970,” 07/07/1970, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_51B5CC04841A467BB43F0F56C1E579CA.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; William Rogers in Vietnam, 1970.” 07/07/1970. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_51B5CC04841A467BB43F0F56C1E579CA>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; William Rogers in Vietnam, 1970. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_51B5CC04841A467BB43F0F56C1E579CA