Ten O'Clock News; Boston teacher layoffs
Marcus Jones reports that a shrinking school budget may force teacher layoffs in the Boston Public School System, and a final federal court order may require layoffs to be based on affirmative action quotas instead of union seniority. White teachers with seniority are at odds with newer minority teachers. Members of the Boston Teachers Union picketing outside of the Boston School Department. The president of Concerned Black Teachers of Boston, Robert Marshall, speaks at a press conference. Marshall says that seniority is a biased and discriminatory criterion for determining layoffs. Interview with Boston Teachers Union President Edward Doherty, who says that more minority teachers must be hired. He adds that affirmative action quotas should not force white teachers out of their jobs. At a Boston School Committee meeting Antonieta Gimeno, a parent, tells the School Committee that Haitian, Asian, Cape Verdean, and African students find no reflection of their heritages in the school curriculum or in the school faculty. The federal court withdrew from supervision over the Boston Public schools last month, but deep-seated racial problems still plague the system.
- Ten O'Clock News
Boston teacher layoffs
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School management and organization
- Affirmative action programs
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Labor unions
- Teachers' unions -- Massachusetts -- Boston
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston teacher layoffs,” 06/19/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_518304D2BFDC444088AE11BD29F85ADF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston teacher layoffs.” 06/19/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_518304D2BFDC444088AE11BD29F85ADF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Boston teacher layoffs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_518304D2BFDC444088AE11BD29F85ADF