Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson and Nynex strike
Christy George reports that Jesse Jackson came to Boston to support the strike by employees of New England Telephone. Jackson addresses the strikers at City Hall Plaza. Management and employees cannot agree on who should pay for workers' health benefits. Interview with New England Telephone spokesman Peter Cronin, who says that the union agreed to share health care costs in 1986. George reports that employees accuse management of staging a "take-back." Jan Pierce of Communication Workers of America attends the rally on City Hall Plaza. Pierce rips up a phone bill and urges the workers not to pay their bills until the strike is over. The union is asking customers to stall payment on their phone bills until the strike is over. National unions are backing the Nynex strikers. Striking workers demonstrate outside of the New England Telephone building. The strikers urge a woman not to pay her phone bill.
- Ten O'Clock News
Jesse Jackson and Nynex strike
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Labor unions
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Telephone companies
- African American politicians
- Labor disputes
- Strikes and lockouts
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson and Nynex strike,” 08/15/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_502AD47AEC3F4F5DA2106A9ADD5D7347.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson and Nynex strike.” 08/15/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_502AD47AEC3F4F5DA2106A9ADD5D7347>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson and Nynex strike. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_502AD47AEC3F4F5DA2106A9ADD5D7347