Ten O'Clock News; Parcel 18 development
Meg Vaillancourt reports that the city of Boston is experimenting with a parcel-to-parcel linkage program to promote development in both the downtown area and in the outlying neighborhoods of the city. A new development project has linked a development in Chinatown to the development of Parcel 18 near the Ruggles MBTA station in Roxbury; the developers had to agree to develop both parcels of land. Vaillancourt reviews the details of the proposed development in each neighborhood. Interview with Stephen Coyle of the Boston Redevelopment Authority about the linkage project. Coyle says that the city is linking desirable downtown sites to sites in other neighborhoods in an attempt to bring jobs and services to the neighborhoods. Mayor Ray Flynn, Governor Michael Dukakis, and City Councilor Bruce Bolling at a press conference in Roxbury talk about the benefits of the linkage project. The Columbia Plaza Associates are a group of minority developers who will most likely develop the sites in Chinatown and Roxbury. Vaillancourt reviews the city's criteria for the development project. The project may bring more jobs and better housing to the Roxbury neighborhood. Following the edited story is b-roll of the area near the Ruggles MBTA station. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Jesse Jackson campaigns for president in New Hampshire
- Ten O'Clock News
Parcel 18 development
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Construction industry
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- City planning
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Press conferences
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Construction workers
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- Chinatown (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Parcel 18 development,” 10/12/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 22, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E7015B0F916488597C0362B4D9B6507.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Parcel 18 development.” 10/12/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 22, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E7015B0F916488597C0362B4D9B6507>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Parcel 18 development. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E7015B0F916488597C0362B4D9B6507