Ten O'Clock News; Brooke press conference on finances
Senator Edward Brooke holds a press conference at the offices of Robert McGrath (attorney for Edward Brooke) to address a story about his personal finances that appeared in the Boston Globe. Brooke admits to making a false statement about the receipt of a personal loan in an out-of-court deposition for his divorce. Brooke says that he did not commit perjury by making a "misstatement" in the divorce proceedings; that he did not inflate his financial liability in the divorce settlement. Brooke discusses the divorce settlement and says that it is "fair and equitable." Brooke denies allegations by the Boston Globe that he spends more than he earns. Brooke describes the sources of his income, including details of the purchases and estimated values of his properties. Brooke apologizes to constituents and asks for their forgiveness and understanding. The media asks probing questions about his personal life and finances. Brooke admits that his daughter is responsible for leaking the story to the press.
- Ten O'Clock News
Brooke press conference on finances
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Brooke, Edward William, 1919-
- Political corruption
- Legislators -- United States
- Press conferences
- News Report
- Brooke, Edward William, 1919- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Brooke press conference on finances,” 05/26/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E6DCD97E59E486CB67B36AA5F200781.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Brooke press conference on finances.” 05/26/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E6DCD97E59E486CB67B36AA5F200781>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Brooke press conference on finances. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4E6DCD97E59E486CB67B36AA5F200781