Ten O'Clock News; Bill Baird
Bill Baird press conference on concerns over abortion clinic bombings and fighting back against them. He describes the types of demonstrations by antiabortion groups and the effects they have on the women who use those clinics. He proposes a "demilitarized zone" between the protesters and the women using the clinics, so that they can continue to receive treatment without being physically abused. He describes interstate efforts of pro-choice groups to analyze the attacks. He expresses anger with the FBI's lack of attention, refusal to classify the attacks as terrorism, and the institutionalized sexism of law enforcement agencies. He says that many abortion clinics are now armed and have increased defenses.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Terrorism -- Prevention
- Discrimination in law enforcement
- Press conferences
- United States. Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Women's rights
- Baird, Bill
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Baird, Bill (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Bill Baird,” 01/11/1985, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4D296F27ECC541C185B3C7F817BE2065.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Bill Baird.” 01/11/1985. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4D296F27ECC541C185B3C7F817BE2065>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Bill Baird. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4D296F27ECC541C185B3C7F817BE2065