Masterpiece; Unseen Alistair Cooke, The
The Unseen Alistair Cooke SD Widescreen Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Unseen Alistair Cooke, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
In January, 2008, Masterpiece (minus the Theatre) introduces a new look, new scheduling, and the first of three new hosts for 2008.
Viewers can look forward to a schedule that breaks the year into three "seasons," each with its own host, stunning graphics, and fresh take on the series' famous theme music. In winter and spring, Masterpiece Classic will feature signature period dramas. In summer, Masterpiece Mystery! will present the best British mysteries, and in fall, Masterpiece Contemporary will show dramas set in modern times. Series release date: 1/13/2008
- Program Description
To mark the centenary of Alistair Cooke's birth in 2008, this documentary tells the story of one of the most celebrated broadcasters of the 20th century. While Cooke was widely known in the US for his role as host of PBS's "Masterpiece Theatre," he gave away very little about his personal life. But as this special presentation shows, his own story is as fascinating and surprising as anything in his reports. Featuring newly-found home video footage dating back to 1933, with contributions from his family and friends including Charlie Chaplin and Paulette Goddard.
Told in his own voice and in interviews with family and close friends - including MASTERPIECE executive producer Rebecca Eaton - the program is a chance to see America as Cooke first saw it: the raw material for a lifetime of journalism.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Masterpiece; Unseen Alistair Cooke, The,” 11/23/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 25, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C7EFFD46D764B90B22FD99509EB401F.
- MLA: “Masterpiece; Unseen Alistair Cooke, The.” 11/23/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 25, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C7EFFD46D764B90B22FD99509EB401F>.
- APA: Masterpiece; Unseen Alistair Cooke, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C7EFFD46D764B90B22FD99509EB401F