Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Trompe L’Oeil: The Art Of Culinary Deception
Trompe L’Oiel: The Art of Culinary 16x9 Letterbox
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie
- Trompe L’Oeil: The Art Of Culinary Deception
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiere October 8, 2006
The edgy and provocative Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie provides exclusive entrée into the passionate inner circle of the food world to uncover the latest cutting-edge food trends, must-use ingredients, kitchen gadgets and food destinations. The 20-part series affords viewers privileged access to an arsenal of trusted industry journalists and epicurean experts who deliver compelling food stories from all around the globe. From street food in Shanghai to a "flameless" restaurant in Spain, Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie mixes travel with food to explore, inform and entertain.
Looking at the world food-first, Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie is a sophisticated, high-end series that introduces viewers to a feast of cutting-edge food trends, exotic ingredients, and in-the-know food players on an international level. Expanding on the lessons learned during the show's travels, Gourmet Editor-in-Chief Ruth Reichl, along with a supporting staff of Gourmet's renowned food editors, go inside the magazine's test kitchens to show viewers how they can bring this diverse culinary landscape into their own homes.
Produced by WGBH and Zero Point Zero Productions in association with Gourmet magazine and Discovery Networks International, and exclusively sponsored by TIAA-CREF. Series release date: 10/8/2006
- Program Description
TROMPE L’OEIL: THE ART OF CULINARY DECEPTION EPISODE 29
Can a great meal be based on deception? Trompe L’Oeil means “fooling the eye,” and some chefs and experts are doing just that. In this episode, we’ll meet a chef who’s been figuring out ways to fool diners for 45 years, feeding them whimsical creations like “scrambled eggs” made out of scallops. Then we’ll travel to New York City to visit a cake-making “studio” where edible foods replace tubes of paint. Back in the Gourmet kitchen, we’ll show you how to create a slice of “watermelon” that looks exactly like the real thing—with seeds made out of chocolate.
RECIPES Faux Beefsteak Tartare Shallot Dressing Basil Oil Gruyère Crisps Virtual Eggs Watermelon Sorbet Slices with Chocolate Seeds
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Collins, Christopher (Series Producer)
- Zero Point Zero Productions (Series Producer)
- Tenaglia, Lydia (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Trompe L’Oeil: The Art Of Culinary Deception,” 04/22/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C11035485EF4EB79D72F6B80677BA6A.
- MLA: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Trompe L’Oeil: The Art Of Culinary Deception.” 04/22/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C11035485EF4EB79D72F6B80677BA6A>.
- APA: Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Trompe L’Oeil: The Art Of Culinary Deception. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4C11035485EF4EB79D72F6B80677BA6A