Ten O'Clock News; Delegate vs. delegate
Christy George reports that the campaigns of Jesse Jackson and Michael Dukakis have different agendas for the upcoming Democratic convention. She notes that Jackson may not support Dukakis's choice of running mate because he would like to be named as Dukakis's running mate. George reports that Jackson has threatened to have floor fights on all platform issues that he does not win, and to present his speech outside of the convention if he feels slighted by the party. George speculates on whether the delegates for each candidate will unite at the convention. Interview with Dukakis delegate Raymond Jordan and Jackson delegate Saundra Graham about their views of the convention. Jordan says that he is working to unite all Democrats behind Dukakis. Graham says that Dukakis must accommodate Jackson's platform to win his delegates. George's report includes footage of Dukakis and Sen. Lloyd Bentsen at a press conference and footage of Dukakis campaigning. George's report also features footage of Jackson and footage of Sen. Dianne Feinstein at the 1984 Democratic National Convention. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: An African American family moves into the McCormack housing project
- Ten O'Clock News
Delegate vs. delegate
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Political campaigns
- African American politicians
- Political conventions
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Politics, Practical
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Delegate vs. delegate,” 07/11/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4BF5818B69394B7CA7E94DB57D4FCB40.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Delegate vs. delegate.” 07/11/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4BF5818B69394B7CA7E94DB57D4FCB40>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Delegate vs. delegate. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4BF5818B69394B7CA7E94DB57D4FCB40