Ten O'Clock News; Elma Lewis on Roxbury improvement
Meg Vaillancourt interviews Elma Lewis (Roxbury community leader) about the Roxbury neighborhood. Lewis says that Roxbury is portrayed as "unworthy" by the news media. Lewis criticizes media coverage, housing policy, and police performance in Roxbury. Lewis talks about the need for a community to set its own standards, saying that she complains about certain types of behavior on her block. Lewis says that she will not be driven from her home by the problems in the neighborhood. She talks about her obligation to work for improvements in the community. Vaillancourt's report is accompanied by footage of residents and police in the Roxbury area and a shot of a photograph of Darlene Tiffany Moore (Roxbury resident). This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Teachers and parents are frustrated over new starting times for the Boston Public Schools for the coming school year Boston parents frustrated with Wilson and School Committee Charles Laquidara organizes a boycott against Shell Oil Company
- Ten O'Clock News
Elma Lewis on Roxbury improvement
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Mass media
- African American women
- Lewis, Elma
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Public housing
- African American neighborhoods
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Lewis, Elma (Interviewee)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Elma Lewis on Roxbury improvement,” 08/23/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B50843DD35141ABA3A2F8612291A739.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Elma Lewis on Roxbury improvement.” 08/23/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B50843DD35141ABA3A2F8612291A739>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Elma Lewis on Roxbury improvement. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B50843DD35141ABA3A2F8612291A739