La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar
La Plaza MASTER - CLOSED CAPTIONED Program #2808 Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar Running Time: 26:38 Closed Captioned Patricia Alvarado 617-300-2289 email@example.com WGBH, 125 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02134
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Hector Tobar is the author of Translation Nation: Defining a New American Identity in the Spanish-speaking United States. The book grew out of Tobar’s work as the Latino national affairs correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, a job that allowed him the opportunity to roam the “Latin Republic of the United States.” Tobar is a veteran journalist, who shares the 1992 Pulitzer Prize for the LA Times coverage of the Los Angeles riots. He is currently the Mexico City bureau chief for the Los Angeles Times. Tobar speaks with Ilan Stavans about language, identity and ethnicity among U.S. Latinos.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B4D6ECA935C4589BE3B47311C96646C.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B4D6ECA935C4589BE3B47311C96646C>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Hector Tobar. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4B4D6ECA935C4589BE3B47311C96646C