Ten O'Clock News; Tent City affordable housing
Hope Kelly reports that the Tent City Housing Complex in the South End will soon open. She notes that the housing complex is named for the protests that began on the site twenty years before. Kelly reviews the history of the Tent City site. Kelly's report includes photos of the protests at the Tent City site in the 1960s. Kelly interviews Betty Meredith (Executive Director, Tent City Corporation) and Michael Kane (Chairman, Tent City Corporation) outside of the housing complex. Kane and Meredith talk about the struggle by South End residents to get the housing complex built. Kane says that affordable housing was not a priority in this part of the city until now. Kelly interviews Mel King (community activist) about the Tent City site. Kelly reports that Copley Place was developed while the Tent City site was ignored. Kelly's report includes a time-lapse arrangement of shots documenting the construction of Copley Place. Kelly reports that 75% of the units in the housing complex are low- and moderate-income units. Kelly interviews Sophie Iglesias (Marketing Director) and Florcie Versailles (Tent City resident) about the housing complex..,
- Ten O'Clock News
Tent City affordable housing
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- King, Mel
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Urban renewal
- City planning
- South End (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- King, Mel (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Tent City affordable housing,” 04/29/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4A9E488E2753473F9F29CBE44EF195A7.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Tent City affordable housing.” 04/29/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4A9E488E2753473F9F29CBE44EF195A7>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Tent City affordable housing. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4A9E488E2753473F9F29CBE44EF195A7