Ten O'Clock News; Maverick housing project
Exteriors of Maverick housing project in East Boston. White children play outside. Lone black girl sits on fence. Black Power and racist graffiti. Boarded up windows. East Boston environs shot from moving car.Sign for Police Station 7. Interview with a Maverick resident, Mrs. Baker, about vandalism and threats from youth, and destruction of her apartment and possessions and death of three dogs due to a fire of suspicious origin. Interview with a priest, Father Corrigan, who says 12 African American families moved out of project because of intimidation and harassment. Shot of Maverick St. sign. Interview with Maverick resident, Mrs. Porter, about the families who moved out, many of whom she knew, and why she's going to stay. They shoot cutaways.
- Ten O'Clock News
Maverick housing project
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Public housing
- Race relations
- African American families
- Urban youth
- Hate crimes
- East Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Pomerene, Nancy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Maverick housing project,” 05/24/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_49ADF0156E314A73B4D6737544DD8602.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Maverick housing project.” 05/24/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_49ADF0156E314A73B4D6737544DD8602>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Maverick housing project. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_49ADF0156E314A73B4D6737544DD8602