La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: Portrait Of An Artist
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Frida Kahlo: Portrait Of An Artist
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Mexican painter Frida Kahlo (1907-1954) led a life as dramatic and haunting as the images she created. Overshadowed during her life by her husband, muralist Diego Rivera, Kahlo is now recognized as one of the foremost women painters of this century. Narrated by Edward James Olmos.
Born near Mexico City in 1907, Frida Kahlo lived in the shadow of her husband, the renowned muralist, Diego Rivera for much of her married life. Her paintings were labeled “surrealistic” because they dealt with intense personal images such as her childhood bout with polio, a bus accident that nearly claimed her life, and her tumultous relationship with her beloved Diego.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: Portrait Of An Artist,” 02/06/1999, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_499806870D634E2EADA24F346779E7A8.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: Portrait Of An Artist.” 02/06/1999. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_499806870D634E2EADA24F346779E7A8>.
- APA: La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: Portrait Of An Artist. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_499806870D634E2EADA24F346779E7A8