Ten O'Clock News; Rev. Earl W. Jackson, Sr.
David Boeri reports that E.W. Jackson is the manager of WLVG radio station in Cambridge and the pastor of the New Corner Baptist Church in Roxbury. Jackson addressed a community meeting in South Boston last night about the city's public housing desegregation plan. He attacked atheism, school busing, and seat belt laws in his speech, and called the city's housing desegregation plan a form of "social engineering." Interview with Jackson in the studios of WLVG. He discusses public housing integration and says that "freedom of choice" is more important than integrated developments. Boeri reports that Boston City Councilors James Kelly and Dapper O'Neil are leading the fight against the desegregation plan, but that interest in the issue is waning among South Boston residents. Interview with Neil Sullivan, policy advisor to mayor Ray Flynn, who helped develop the housing desegregation plan. Sullivan says that elements of choice have been preserved in the city's new public housing policy.
- Ten O'Clock News
Rev. Earl W. Jackson, Sr.
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Busing for school integration
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007
- African American religious leaders
- Public housing
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Jackson, E. W., 1952-
- Radio stations
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jackson, E. W., 1952- (Interviewee)
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Rev. Earl W. Jackson, Sr.,” 07/13/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 14, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4845D694546B41B1AE417C2866551ED1.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Rev. Earl W. Jackson, Sr..” 07/13/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 14, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4845D694546B41B1AE417C2866551ED1>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Rev. Earl W. Jackson, Sr.. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4845D694546B41B1AE417C2866551ED1