Ten O'Clock News; Charlestown public housing
Building which houses the offices of the Boston Housing Authority in Charlestown. Rundown buildings in the Bunker Hill Housing Project in Charlestown. Many of the buildings have boarded up windows or broken windows. Trash is visible along the sidewalks and walkways in front of the buildings. Shots of a series of photographs of a meeting between Joseph Timilty and Jimmy Carter. Interview with John Vitagliano (Boston Housing Inspection Commissioner). He says that the city of Boston must renovate its existing public housing instead of building new public housing. Vitagliano believes that a program of private-housing subsidies would be superior to the present public housing program. He says that the disastrous environment in public housing developments contributes to a cycle of poverty; that public-housing tenants and private landlords would benefit from a private-housing subsidies program. Vitagliano suggests that public-housing projects be shut down and sold to private developers. He admits that Boston's public housing projects are de facto segregated
- Ten O'Clock News
Charlestown public housing
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Public housing
- Urban poor
- Boston Housing Authority
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Timilty, Joseph F., 1938-
- Charlestown (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Arons, Marjorie (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Charlestown public housing,” 07/21/1977, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 27, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_47D1E7C282AB45C7AEFEA29C392FBF95.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Charlestown public housing.” 07/21/1977. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 27, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_47D1E7C282AB45C7AEFEA29C392FBF95>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Charlestown public housing. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_47D1E7C282AB45C7AEFEA29C392FBF95