Ten O'Clock News; George Wallace interview
Steve Nevas interviews George Wallace about his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination. Nevas asks Wallace if he expects to do well with anti-busing voters in Massachusetts. Wallace comments on his chances in the Massachusetts primary, his relationship with the Democratic Party establishment and his role at the Democratic convention. He describes his feelings towards other Democratic perspective candidates Hubert Humphrey and Edward Kennedy. Wallace says that he has never campaigned much in Massachusetts; that he is happy to have the opportunity to present his ideas to the Massachusetts voters. Wallace denounces the "expansion" of the federal government, and calls busing a social experiment. Wallace gives his opinions on the political positions of Ralph Nader (consumer advocate) and Ronald Reagan (Governor of California). He talks about his previous campaigns for the presidential nomination.
- Ten O'Clock News
George Wallace interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978
- Reagan, Ronald
- Nader, Ralph
- Busing for school integration
- Massachusetts -- Economic conditions
- School integration
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-1998
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1976
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- Federal government
- State governments
- Political campaigns
- News Report
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-1998 (Interviewee)
- Nevas, Steve (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; George Wallace interview,” 01/27/1976, GBH Archives, accessed December 4, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_479A4FC5284446E183E720F93C51528B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; George Wallace interview.” 01/27/1976. GBH Archives. Web. December 4, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_479A4FC5284446E183E720F93C51528B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; George Wallace interview. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_479A4FC5284446E183E720F93C51528B