Martha Speaks; Martha Blah Blah; Skits Behaves
MSPE 106 (HD) Media Operations Center PBS 3420
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Blah Blah; Skits Behaves
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha Blah Blah Granny Flo decides to cut costs at the soup factory. Who would notice if each bowl of soup had only half the letters of the alphabet anyway? Martha would, that's who. As the letters are subtracted from the soup, they're also subtracted from her speech, and Martha loses her ability to communicate. Has Martha ordered her last burger? Based on the book of the same name.
Vocabulary: (E) limit, add, subtract, reduce, diminish
(I) few, greater, higher, more, less
Skits Behaves Now that Skits is full grown, his rambunctious behavior has really gotten out of hand. Mom and Dad tell Helen she has to train Skits or he will have to be an outside dog. Helen tries all the latest training techniques with no success, until she realizes there's only one sure-fire training method: practice, lots of practice.
Vocabulary: (E) improve, progress, expand, behave, develop
(I) better, misbehave, grow, manners, learn
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Blah Blah; Skits Behaves,” 09/13/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_457948E8A8F842FD9FFC89503C535BF3.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Blah Blah; Skits Behaves.” 09/13/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_457948E8A8F842FD9FFC89503C535BF3>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Blah Blah; Skits Behaves. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_457948E8A8F842FD9FFC89503C535BF3