Masterpiece Classic; Upstairs, Downstairs, Series I (2011): Episode 1
WGBH PACKAGED MASTER (HD BASE)
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Masterpiece Classic
- Upstairs, Downstairs, Series I (2011): Episode 1
- Program Number
- Series Description
Each winter and spring, Masterpiece classic features signature period dramas. For 2009, Masterpiece classic premieres January 4th with host Laura Linney.
Emmy Award-winning actress Laura Linney will be the new host of Masterpiece classic, making her first appearance when the series premieres with a new adaptation of Tess of the D'Urbervilles on January 4, 2009 on PBS.
In 2009, the series returns with works by three beloved British authors, including Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles (January 4 and 11), starring new Bond girl Gemma Arterton (Quantum of Solace); Emily Brontë's haunting Wuthering Heights (January 18 and 25) with Tom Hardy (The Virgin Queen) as Heathcliff and newcomer Charlotte Riley as Cathy. In February, Masterpiece classic launches The Tales of Charles Dickens with a bold new adaptation of Oliver Twist, starring Timothy Spall (A Room with A View), and Sophie Okonedo (The Secret Life of Bees) in a heartbreaking performance as Nancy. In March, there will be a repeat of the acclaimed David Copperfield starring Daniel Radcliffe in the role that led him to Harry Potter. Beginning on March 29 is the highly anticipated five-part miniseries Little Dorrit from Bleak House screenwriter Andrew Davies, starring Matthew Macfadyen (Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley, The Way We Live Now), rising star Claire Foy as Amy Dorrit, and Tom Courtenay (Billy Liar, A Rather English Marriage) as her father. On May 3, The Incomplete Charles Dickens closes with a star-studded The Old Curiosity Shop, with Derek Jacobi, Toby Jones (W., Infamous), Zoë Wanamaker (Harry Potter, Gormenghast), and Gina McKee (The Forsyte Saga). Series release date: 1/4/2009
- Program Description
Episode 1: Sir Hallam (Ed Stoppard) and Lady Agnes Holland (Keeley Hawes) move into 165 Eaton Place and hire former parlormaid Rose (Jean Marsh) to assemble a staff. The servants are soon put to the test during a party that threatens to destroy Sir Hallam’s career. Dame Eileen Atkins also stars.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Masterpiece Classic; Upstairs, Downstairs, Series I (2011): Episode 1,” 04/10/2011, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_44D344E4EEAC4B82B472EB49327480C0.
- MLA: “Masterpiece Classic; Upstairs, Downstairs, Series I (2011): Episode 1.” 04/10/2011. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_44D344E4EEAC4B82B472EB49327480C0>.
- APA: Masterpiece Classic; Upstairs, Downstairs, Series I (2011): Episode 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_44D344E4EEAC4B82B472EB49327480C0