Ten O'Clock News; Clergy plead for racial peace
Father Michael Groden (Advisor to Humberto Cardinal Medeiros) introduces a press conference with Cardinal Medeiros (Archbishop of Boston), Bishop Edward Carroll (United Methodist Church) and Donald Luster (President, Ministerial Alliance). Medeiros denounces incidents of violence and hatred and encourages citizens to celebrate the diversity of the urban community. Medeiros says that the clergy has prepared a Covenant of Justice, Equity and Harmony to be signed by the citizens of Boston. Medeiros urges the clergy and every city institution to dedicate itself to working towards peace in the city. Medeiros announces a gathering of religious leaders on the Boston Common on November 19 that will initiate a movement to help the city heal its wounds. Bishop Edward Carroll (United Methodist Church) reads a letter inviting the city's clergy to gather at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross the following Friday. Carroll speaks about the clergy's responsibility to cooperate in promoting peace, justice and harmony in the city; denounces recent acts of violence and hatred; and encourages all citizens to unite. Donald Luster (President, Ministerial Alliance) reads the Covenant of Justice, Equity and Harmony. Groden reviews the series of events planned by the clergy to promote peace in the city. Groden and Luster respond to questions from the media about the movement for peace and the Covenant of Justice, Equity and Harmony.
- Ten O'Clock News
Clergy plead for racial peace
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Medeiros, Humberto Sousa, 1915-
- Catholic Church
- Peace movements
- African American religious leaders
- Race relations
- Press conferences
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Medeiros, Humberto Sousa, 1915- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Clergy plead for racial peace,” 10/29/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_43A51B6208DB4B488209CFA6B9C2FC32.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Clergy plead for racial peace.” 10/29/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_43A51B6208DB4B488209CFA6B9C2FC32>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Clergy plead for racial peace. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_43A51B6208DB4B488209CFA6B9C2FC32