La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part II: Toward the Roots of Cuban Music
Dolby A- part 2 of 2
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Made in Cuba Part II: Toward the Roots of Cuban Music
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
This second part takes us on a journey through Cuba’s different regions and musical cultures. The film explores the rich musical traditions which have developed through centuries of cultural interchange in this Caribbean island. The Munequitos de Matanzas, Cayamba, Tumba Francesca, Grupo Changui, and Grupo Locosia are among the great artists and Santeria ritual performers featured. First broadcast in 1992.
Spanish title: Hecho en Cuba
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part II: Toward the Roots of Cuban Music,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_42D9646C75894C398E5055557ABC3722.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part II: Toward the Roots of Cuban Music.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_42D9646C75894C398E5055557ABC3722>.
- APA: La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part II: Toward the Roots of Cuban Music. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_42D9646C75894C398E5055557ABC3722