Ten O'Clock News; Robert Spillane profile
Profile of Robert Spillane, superintendent of Boston Public Schools as he prepares to leave Boston for a post in Virginia. Vaillancourt reports on Spillane's accomplishments in improving the Boston Public School System and cutting the school budget deficit. Interview with Spillane where he compliments the teaching staff in the Boston Public Schools and talks about his opinion of Arthur Garrity. He says that Garrity's stewardship of the school system was a disaster. Interview with Peter McCormick, the President of the Bank of New England, about Spillane's good relationship with the business community. Vaillancourt speculates about whether Spillane will one day pursue a career in politics.
- Ten O'Clock News
Robert Spillane profile
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School integration
- School management and organization
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999
- School superintendents
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Robert Spillane profile,” 06/28/1985, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 9, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_423B7A160376492096016913D7DB8DE5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Robert Spillane profile.” 06/28/1985. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 9, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_423B7A160376492096016913D7DB8DE5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Robert Spillane profile. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_423B7A160376492096016913D7DB8DE5