Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties
Part of New Television Workshop.
Part of NTW Master Dubbing: 8/98
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund
- Sudden Difficulties
- Series Description
Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund -- WGBH's collaboration with the Institute Of Contemporary Art (ICA) -- offers a co-venture among TV producers from seven countries, each seeking to capture the spirit of a specific environment. Titles include: O PANAMA: a video by James Benning and Burt Barr evoking the mental landscape of a sick man confined to his apartment; TIME CODE; L'IMAGE; STORM AND STRESS; SOLOS, DUETS AND PIZZA: Three dance videos: "Rotary Action", a duet featuring Bill T. Jones and Arnie Zane; "Watermotor for Dancer and Camera", with Trisha Brown, and "From and Island Summer", with Karole Armitage; SET & RESET (#4) VERSION 1: Choreographer Trisha Brown performs to music by Laurie Anderson in this video dance piece DAMNATION OF FAUST: story of Marguerite of the Faust legend; MORE TV STORIES: satirizing the relationship between people and their TVs; NEW ENGLAND FISHERMEN - Joan Logue's brief vignettes of fishermen. Series release date: 1985
- Program Description
It documents a collaborative performance and installation at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston by the painter and sculptor Elaine Spatz-Rabinowitz and the theater artist Peter Sellars. The video work was created by Katherine Gulla. In “Sudden Difficulties,” Sellars and Spatz-Rabinowitz talk about the process of creating the piece. Dancer Bonnie Zimmering performs the actual work, in which a woman arises from bed and interacts with transforming props.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Documentaries and factual works
- Installations (Art)
- Experimental theater
- Film and Television
- Gulla, Katherine (Producer)
- Zimmering, Bonnie ()
- Spatz-Rabinowitz, Elaine ()
- Sellars, Peter ()
- Chicago: “Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties,” 05/13/1985, GBH Archives, accessed November 29, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F.
- MLA: “Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties.” 05/13/1985. GBH Archives. Web. November 29, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F>.
- APA: Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F