Ten O'Clock News; Lydon compilation
Compilation of Christopher Lydon stories. Christopher Lydon interviews Bill Lee (pitcher, Montreal Expos) at Fenway Park. Lee discusses the possibility of a baseball strike. Lee talks about unions and his feelings about baseball. Lee says that he is no longer "addicted" to baseball. Three essays by Robert J. Lurtsema about the coming of summer, the coming of fall and barnacles. Lydon reports on the upcoming preliminary elections for the Boston City Council. Lydon analyzes voting patterns in various districts and the political networks of some candidates. Lydon notes that there has been little voter interest in the campaign. The report includes interviews with and profiles of candidates Maureen Craven Slade, Craig Lankhorst, and Stephen Michaels. Lydon reports from the Boston Celtics' practice court in Brookline. Lydon interviews Ernie DiGregorio (basketball player) and Nate "Tiny" Archibald for the report. Lydon's second report on the upcoming preliminary elections for Boston City Council includes footage from interviews with several candidates including Maura Hennigan, James Kelly, David Scondras, Charles Yancey, Ed McNamara, and Michael McCormack. The candidates talk about voter anger and apathy, the city's fiscal crisis, the need for better city services and the policies of Kevin White (Mayor of Boston). Lydon interviews Donald Woods (South African journalist) about South Africa. Woods criticizes the US veto of the United Nations condemnation of the South African invasion of Angola. Woods says that the white minority in South Africa must negotiate with the black majority in order to avoid a civil war. Woods compares the political situations in South Africa to that of Northern Ireland.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- South Africa
- McNamara, John F., 1932-
- Fenway Park (Boston, Mass.)
- Strikes and lockouts
- Boston Celtics (Basketball team)
- Boston Red Sox (Baseball team)
- Yancey, Charles C.
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Hennigan, Maura
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- White, Kevin H.
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Political campaigns
- Boston (Mass.)
- Fenway (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Archibald, Nate, 1948- (Interviewee)
- Yancey, Charles C. (Interviewee)
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Interviewee)
- DiGregorio, Ernie, 1951- (Interviewee)
- Hennigan, Maura A. (Interviewee)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Lee, Bill, 1946- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Lydon compilation,” 11/01/1981, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41429BBD264141169E29D5F3AC513598.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Lydon compilation.” 11/01/1981. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41429BBD264141169E29D5F3AC513598>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Lydon compilation. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41429BBD264141169E29D5F3AC513598