La Plaza; Cyro Batista And Beat The Donkey
APT Master Cyro Baptista and Beat the Donkey closed captioned APT version
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Cyro Batista And Beat The Donkey
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Cyro Baptista has emerged as one of the premier percussionists in the United States. He is currently touring Japan, South Africa, Europe and America with Herbie Hancock. He traveled the world with Paul Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints" tour and has performed and recorded with everyone from James Taylor to Sting and Caetano Veloso. He has won 3 GRAMMY AWARDS for his work on Herbie Hancock's "Gershwin World," Cassandra Wilson's "Blue Light 'Til Dawn" and The Chieftains' "Santiago." Cyro Baptista has always rejected rigid classifications in terms of instrumentation and compositional approach. With Beat the Donkey, a multicultural, polyphonic and highly creative 10 piece percussion ensemble, Cyro gives free rein to his imagination, mixing instruments from Brazil, U.S., Indonesia and Africa with his own homemade instruments.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Cyro Batista And Beat The Donkey,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4132E83F56834B178132964F1136879F.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Cyro Batista And Beat The Donkey.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4132E83F56834B178132964F1136879F>.
- APA: La Plaza; Cyro Batista And Beat The Donkey. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4132E83F56834B178132964F1136879F