Ten O'Clock News; South African sanctions
Marcus Jones reports on Congressional debate over a bill that would impose sanctions on the apartheid regime in South Africa. Jones notes that Ronald Reagan is opposed to sanctions, but did impose a limited one-year trade embargo on South Africa last September. Jones' report includes footage of Reagan giving a speech. Jones reports that Reagan and his supporters believe that sanctions would hurt black South Africans more than they would help them. Jones adds that supporters of sanctions call Reagan's position hypocritical and illogical. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of the members of US Congress addressing the legislature about the sanctions issue. The congressmen include Stephen Solarz, Silvio Conte, Dan Burton, Edward Kennedy, and Bob Dole. George Bush is shown presiding over the US Senate. Jones reports that anti-apartheid leaders believe that the US must set an example for other nations by imposing sanctions on the South African government. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of laborers in South Africa and by footage of black South Africans. This tape contains additional footage of Prince Andrew of Great Britain and Sarah Ferguson (Andrew's fiance). This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: David Boeri reports on drug activity in the Grove Hall area of Roxbury
- Ten O'Clock News
South African sanctions
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- Bush, George, 1924-
- Federal government
- South Africa
- International trade
- Bills, Legislative
- Dole, Robert J., 1923-
- Reagan, Ronald
- International relations
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; South African sanctions,” 07/22/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3FAC7EE2A41F4FC487B3CE097C7A238A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; South African sanctions.” 07/22/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3FAC7EE2A41F4FC487B3CE097C7A238A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; South African sanctions. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3FAC7EE2A41F4FC487B3CE097C7A238A