La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gustavo Santaolalla
Online version Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gustavo Santaolalla
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Argentine native Gustavo Santaolalla was a folk musician until he heard rock 'n' roll. Since then, Santaolalla has built a career incorporating both genres of music. As a producer of Latino rock bands, Santaolalla pushed his groups to incorporate native music into their sound. But there's more to Santaolalla than rock 'n' roll. His 1998 album, Ronroco, was widely praised, as were his scores for the films 21 Grams, Amores Perros, The Motorcycle Diaries, and Brokeback Mountain, for which Santaolalla won an Academy Award in 2006 for best original score.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gustavo Santaolalla,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 15, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3DA55F8E52714DB2B5F057E57E2DBFE6.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gustavo Santaolalla.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 15, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3DA55F8E52714DB2B5F057E57E2DBFE6>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gustavo Santaolalla. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3DA55F8E52714DB2B5F057E57E2DBFE6