American Experience; Nixon; Troops and gunboats, 1969.
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
9th Division, troops and gunboats. Mobile Rivereen Force in Mekong Delta. _-_ 1) Troops walking to and boarding boats (silent). Navy boats along river. Aerial view of boats. Boats with guns firing. Fires ashore, huts, sound on film growth. Helicopter overhead. Troops ashore in jungle growth. (43', story mostly mute, some sound on film). _-_ 2) Boats on river. Camera movement, smoke and fires on shore with sounds of explosions. Moving shots past trees on shore. Burning hut and smoke from explosions. Boat pilot in helmet, close shot. (53', sound on film). _-_ 3) Men preparing to go out on mission, getting gear, ammo belts. Sign with emblems: "Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, 47th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division." Filing out gates, boarding trucks. Nurses chatting to men on trucks. (78' silent) _-_ 4) Men walking to boat, rear view. Vietnamese ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam) soldier swinging in hammock, watching. (10' silent). _-_ 5) Boats moving on river, to camera. Close shot of helmet "Pontiac, Michigan" on GI. Men ashore. Close shot pilot and helicopter overhead. (30' silent)
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Troops and gunboats, 1969.
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Boats and boating
- United States. Navy
- United States--Armed Forces
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Mekong River Delta (Vietnam and Cambodia)
- Vietnam (Republic)
- United States. Mobile Riverine Force
- Mekong Delta, Vietnam
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Troops and gunboats, 1969.,” 06/17/1969, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 18, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3C7FE68BC9C84C86AFD23E66E2B85392.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Troops and gunboats, 1969..” 06/17/1969. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 18, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3C7FE68BC9C84C86AFD23E66E2B85392>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Troops and gunboats, 1969.. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3C7FE68BC9C84C86AFD23E66E2B85392