Say Brother; Consumerism
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program examines the impact of higher food prices on African American families living in Boston and offers suggestions on how to combat the high cost of living. Through segments containing interviews with women shopping and preparing food in their homes, co-op market organizers, nutritionist Mary Crumlin, and economist Allen Schultz, Say Brother illustrates the local population’s frustration with the government, the producers of food, and the stores that distribute it. Program also contains cooking segments with Boston residents Salem Hardy and Aliayo Pryor.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Schultz, Allen
- Crumlin, Mary
- Wages--Effect of inflation on
- African American consumers
- Low budget cookery
- Civil rights
- African American women
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Fletcher, Leah (Associate Producer)
- Topper Carew (Producer)
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Jones, Vickie (Associate Producer)
- Carew, Topper (Host)
- Jones, Vickie (Host)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Johnson, Henry (Filmmaker)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Consumerism,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3A853A8805C84EF8A9F65FA07F310F0E.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Consumerism.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3A853A8805C84EF8A9F65FA07F310F0E>.
- APA: Say Brother; Consumerism. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3A853A8805C84EF8A9F65FA07F310F0E