Ten O'Clock News; L Street Bathhouse
Men in front of James Michael Curley Recreation Center aka L Street Bathhouse in South Boston. Exteriors of the building. Governor Ed King talks and poses for pictures, shakes hands, and talks to constituents. State Senator William Bulger walks across street toward L Street Bathhouse. Bulger shakes hands and makes jokes. They hold a press conference. Bulger says he spent five summers lifeguarding at the Bathhouse and it was the best job he ever had. He endorses Governor King for reelection. King presents Bulger with a check for $15 million from state takeover of Hynes Auditorium. Senator Chester Atkins joins them at podium. Shots of reporter Janet Wu listening to the press conference. King continues talking about the accomplishments of his administration. King leaves press conferences and shakes hands. Wu asks King why he chose to give the check to Bulger rather than the mayor, and why they held the press conference at the L Street Bathhouse.
- Ten O'Clock News
L Street Bathhouse
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Atkins, Chester G.
- Political campaigns
- King, Edward J., 1925-2006
- Press conferences
- State governments
- L Street Bath House (South Boston, Boston, Mass.)
- Bulger, William M.
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Wu, Janet (Reporter)
- Bulger, William M. (Speaker)
- King, Edward J., 1925-2006 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; L Street Bathhouse,” 09/09/1982, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 3, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38E2F4AE524B461E8BD57C90D34CDF1E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; L Street Bathhouse.” 09/09/1982. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 3, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38E2F4AE524B461E8BD57C90D34CDF1E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; L Street Bathhouse. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38E2F4AE524B461E8BD57C90D34CDF1E