Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks III, Charles Simic
Part of New Television Workshop.
NTW 1999 Preservation Dub
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Poetry Breaks
- Poetry Breaks III, Charles Simic
- Series Description
2-5 minute filler programs with New England area writers reading their poetry. Poets include Martin Espada, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds. Series release date: 1988
- Program Description
Charles Simic introduces and reads his poems in a New England home and answers questions concerning his life and work. “Stone” “What the gypsies told my grandmother...” “Mirrors at 4 A.M.” "Mixed up with the characters..." “Little Unwritten Book” "Prodigy" “Cameo Appearance” “Miracle Glass Co.” “The Clocks of the Dead” “Once I Knew that I Forgot” “My mother was a braid...” “I was stolen by the Gypsies...” “We were so poor...” Simic also answers the questions: "What is poetry?" "Where do I get my ideas?" "What is it like being a poet?" Some of the breaks pair poems or poems and questions together.
Multiple takes of the poems listed above and the following poems appear on the source tapes of original footage: “On the Sagging Porch” “He Had Mixed Up the Characters” “Documentary” “Summer Morning” “A Wall” Simic’s answers to the following questions appear on the source tapes of original footage: When did you know you wanted to be a poet? What’s the poet’s life like? How do you know when a poem is finished? What is your writing process like? Where do you get your ideas? Do you show your work to anyone? What’s the difference between your earlier and later poems? What is the influence of your cultural heritage on your poetry? How did your learning of poetry begin? What is poetry? Selected answers to these questions were incorporated into "Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Poetry reading
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- Performance in a Studio
- Luchetti, Leita Hagemann (Producer)
- Simic, Charles, 1938- ()
- Chicago: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks III, Charles Simic,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 22, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38524AC5234C4E9089DFFADFB299D8E3.
- MLA: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks III, Charles Simic.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 22, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38524AC5234C4E9089DFFADFB299D8E3>.
- APA: Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks III, Charles Simic. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_38524AC5234C4E9089DFFADFB299D8E3