Rebels and Redcoats: How Britain Lost America; Shot Heard Around The World, The
Episode 1 ; 50:09
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rebels and Redcoats: How Britain Lost America
- Shot Heard Around The World, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast in June 2004. With vivid dramatizations of battles, eyewitness accounts, original documents and paintings, REBELS AND REDCOATS tells the untold story of the American Revolution. Renowned British military historian Richard Holmes presents the four-part series, focusing on the military struggle — the soldiers, leaders, tactics and strategy of this grand conflict. Told from an unusual point of view — that of the British losers — the series at the same time explores painful conflicts within the American populace, taking viewers inside the vicious battles of brothers, friends and families forced to choose sides between loyalist and rebels. Series release date: 6/2004
- Program Description
101 "The Shot Heard Around the World" - In 1770 there is a rare clash between British Redcoats and the townspeople of Boston. Five men are killed in this first violent act of the drama that will create a new nation. America is split over whether to break with Britain or to stay loyal to the Crown. Agitation and tensions escalate, until a British force is sent out to confiscate a Minuteman arms cache, and "the shot heard round the world" is fired in Lexington. The British are expecting a riot; they get a revolution. The Americans triumph over the British in Boston, forcing them to withdraw.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- War and Conflict
- Chicago: “Rebels and Redcoats: How Britain Lost America; Shot Heard Around The World, The,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3840357011084823A7D69C114D5D041F.
- MLA: “Rebels and Redcoats: How Britain Lost America; Shot Heard Around The World, The.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3840357011084823A7D69C114D5D041F>.
- APA: Rebels and Redcoats: How Britain Lost America; Shot Heard Around The World, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3840357011084823A7D69C114D5D041F