Ten O'Clock News; Health care bill passes in House
Marcus Jones reports on debate over a universal health care bill in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Jones reports that lobbyists for the state employees union demanded a collective bargaining amendment to secure the health benefits of state employees. Jones reports that legislators have added the amendment and that the unions are satisfied with the bill. Jones interviews John Flannagan (Massachusetts Teachers' Association) and David Baier (Massachusetts Municipal Association) about the bill and the proposed amendment. Jones also interviews Ray Jordan (State Representative), Catherine Dunham (Dukakis aide) and Richard Volk (Chair, House Ways and Means Committee) about the bill. Jones reports that today's amendment removes one of the roadblocks to the bill's passage. Jones notes that state legislators have been working on the bill for almost a year. He adds that no one is sure if the bill will be approved by the legislature. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of people in the lobby of the Massachusetts State House and by footage of George Keverian (Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives) and House leadership in the House chambers.
- Ten O'Clock News
Health care bill passes in House
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Labor unions
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Bills, Legislative
- Medical care
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Health care bill passes in House,” 04/12/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_381DF6372353455FB3C03C16616D3D5F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Health care bill passes in House.” 04/12/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_381DF6372353455FB3C03C16616D3D5F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Health care bill passes in House. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_381DF6372353455FB3C03C16616D3D5F